When you are in the first few days of cutting out sugar, like we teach you to do in our 30 Day Reset, getting enough fat and protein to keep yourself satiated (and to keep from diving headfirst into the kids’ leftover plate of nachos!) is crucial.
These energy bites help dampen cravings for sweets while providing energy-sustaining fats. As your body learns to primarily burn fat from food and your body’s energy stores, instead of sugar, your cravings will lessen and eventually go away altogether―but these energy bites are a good little trick to have in your pocket for while your body is making that transition.
These little spheres of goodness give you fat and protein from the almond butter, fat from the coconut oil, and fiber and a delectable texture from the coconut flour.
If you’re doing a 30 Day Reset or other sugar detox, you may want to keep an eye on your consumption of these! It can be easy to fill up on these in lieu of meats and veggies since they are so convenient and tasty. So, keep that in mind. But, they do make an excellent tool to get over that carb-flu hump!
- 1 ½ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil or ghee
- Mix ingredients together until combined.
- Use your hands to form into one inch balls.
- Layer the energy bites in a container, separating the layers with a section of parchment paper or waxed paper so they don’t stick. Store in the fridge.
Post updated for January 2020; originally published September 2015.
Leave a Reply