If you asked most people what was the biggest thing they missed since cutting out processed food, I think a lot of people would say things like pizza, or maybe fettuccini alfredo, or chocolate chip cookies. Me? I miss hot breakfast cereals.
I mean Cream of Wheat, oatmeal (especially steel-cut ‘Irish’ oatmeal!), Zoom… those sort of things. They’re like my paleo kryptonite.
I think the reason I love it so much is because it’s my ultimate comfort food. There’s just nothing like waking up to a rich, creamy bowl of hot porridge to soothe the soul when it’s cold outside. I used to love it as a child, and my mom made it often for us when I was little, so it reminds me of her. (And you know the Mom Factor is huge when it comes to favorite foods!) I just can’t resist it. And that, my friends, is why I nearly cried tears of joy when I finally found a way to recreate something similar to — dare I say it, even better than — grain porridges! It still gives me all the warm-fuzzy-blanket feelings, but with none of the oh-no-why-did-I-eat-that-now-I’m-going-to-look-seven-months-pregnant feelings. 🙂
This porridge is grain-free, but it still retains the subtle nutty taste and natural sweetness that makes porridge so darn delicious. Enjoy this for breakfast before work, or after dinner as a sweet dessert treat!
- ½ cup fresh roasted pumpkin or butternut squash, mashed*
- ½ - 1 cup grass-fed milk or coconut milk (depending on how thick you want the porridge)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (use coconut manna for AIP)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir to mix.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer (not quite to a boil), stirring occasionally. Once warmed thorough, ladle into a bowl.
- Top with a dollop of fresh raw cream and/or a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- For a more smooth 'porridge', use an immersion blender before serving.
- *Use acorn squash for the Radiant Reboot, RESTART, or 21-Day Sugar Detox (21DSD).